We are about to re-list our home with a new realtor. Hopefully this is the year we see a sale! Setting the right price and making an excellent first impression are both essential to attracting buyers so we can sell our home. Here are 10 tips to sell your home more quickly.
10 Tips To Sell Your Home More Quickly
- The most important tip is to price it right from the start. After interviewing three realtors we chose the realtor that we thought would do the best job and price the house to sell. We don’t want to list high with the thought that we can lower the price later. If we price it too high many buyers may stay away thinking we’re not serious or we’re not willing to negotiate.
- We want to make a good first impression from the minute they drive in the driveway. It’s still too early to plant flowers or make sure the lawn is mowed but we can make sure the snow is shoveled and the path to the house is clear and the deck is free of snow.
- The Interior and Exterior should be clean and updated. We painted the exterior of the house in the fall and repainted the steps to the house. All the walls on the inside have been freshly painted and the carpeting was new two years ago. We have updated the light fixtures in the bathroom to give it a more updated look. The only thing we didn’t do is update the kitchen but the new owners will have to have something to do to make the house their own!
- As you know we have been packing and de-cluttering since the house first went on the market. The fewer things that are in the house the more open it will look. We have removed all the knickknacks and excess furniture. We have also taken down all the family photos so prospective buyers can envisions their family in the house. The only thing left to do is hire a cleaning service to do a deep cleaning.
- The rooms are all staged to show how they are supposed to be used; the office looks like an office, the family room looks like a family room. We do not have any odd rooms in our house where someone might wonder what it could be used for. The rooms are clean and spacious.
- We plan to make the property easy to show. We will be flexible and allow the prospective victors to visit when it is convenient for them. We also plan to leave the house when it is shown so the would be buyers can feel free to move about without feeling like intruders. This will give them the opportunity to discuss the pros and cons between themselves.
- We no longer have any pets but if we did we would remove them during a showing. When a prospective buyers is looking at a house they shouldn’t even know that a pet lives there.
- Before we even hire our new realtor we will discuss with him where the house will be listed. We want to make sure the house is listed on Zillow, Trulia and Realtor.com and that the realtor will make good use of Facebook as well. The more exposure the house has, the more likely that we’ll find the right buyer.
- The listing should have top-notch photos. We actually rented a camera lens to take excellent interior shots. The realtor is welcome to use them or take shots of their own. Most homebuyers start their search online and decide which homes they want to look at based on the photos.
- Make sure the listing also includes photos of nearby recreation and area attractions. We have to remember that we not only selling our home we are selling a lifestyle.
By following these tips you should be able to sell your house more quickly. Of course real estate markets vary drastically depending on where you live. Here in Vermont sales are slow and it is a buyers market meaning there are lots to choose from.
Spring is the most popular home-buying season. The weather is good, and families with children can make a smooth transition before the new school year starts.